The Route West 128 corridor is the fastest growing part of the Boston Metropolitan area. To help our region navigate this growth, 128 Business Council was created to provide alternative transportation options and sustainable growth solutions that help our members:
- Reduce congestion along Route 128 and related roadways and access points
- Reduce transportation expenditures
- Gain access to more effective commuting and environmentally-positive solutions
- Improve air quality and carbon output
- Increase the efficiency of buildings with LEED Certification and USGBC programs
- Learn ways to create a more sustainable community through education and outreach
- Contribute to the overall greening of the Commonwealth
As advocates for a greener community and better transportation solutions, we offer a series of shuttles that connect major employers, educational institutions and neighborhood communities to existing public transit. Our shuttle services help commuters get to and from their destinations more efficiently, and reduces Route 128 West and related roadway congestion. By improving the experience of everyone traveling in the area, we are able to enhance the overall appeal of our region.
128 Business Council is funded by private business memberships in addition to project specific state and federal agency transportation project grants.
In 1985, GTE Laboratories, Polaroid and The Nelson Companies jointly funded a transportation impact study of the area along Route 128 West between Route 2 and Route 20. The study concluded that increased traffic congestion would negatively impact the region if alternative solutions and traffic-reducing measures were not immediately implemented.
In 1987, two years after the study, 128 Business Council was formed to develop alternative transportation solutions, sustainability and environmentally-friendly practices that would enhance the vitality and economic attractiveness of the 128 West Corridor. 128 Business Council became the first Transportation Management Association in the Commonwealth and is entering it’s third decade of service to business, collegiate and residential community-based members.